Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Communication for kids with mild disabilities can be hard

Jimmy on the first day of third grade.
Jimmy said the most interesting thing to me tonight.  He was really frustrated. Frustrated in writing a simple word in his social studies homework and had a meltdown.  Finally, he blurted out "everything is different!"  I asked, "what exactly is different?" And he replied "everything around me is different!!"  He said this with tears in his eyes.  I asked if it was that things were "different" or that things were "hard"...he admitted that things were hard. We took a break from homework and then came back after a spell, and he felt better and got it done, although he wanted me to be there with him when he did it.  But this was a real moment of true communication for him. Third grade is hard. Difference is hard.  Transitions are hardest of all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment